Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Hello! My name is...

Gena M. Wright.  I am 30 years old and live in Oklahoma City, OK with my husband Blake.  We have a two and a half year old turtle named Pete.  Peter Eugene Wright if you want to be formal about it.  You can call him PEW for short.  Do not misunderstand, he doesn't stink, his initials are just a coincidence that we find hilarious, and now you can join in on the fun too.  That is if you like to laugh at completely stupid, meaningless things, or bathroom humor...You do?  Great!  We'll get along just fine.  Blake and I bought a home last April and have been in the process of remodeling it for the past six months.  Blake took off work for a week after the closing because he thought he could re-do everything and get our things moved in.  W.O.W.(Wife of Wright) moment number one on this blog.  I will use W.O.W.'s to point out my "Wrightness" every now and then...Our timeline has gone a little something like this:  Purchased house, hail storm damages roof, windows and gutters.  Air conditioning goes out.  Fight with home warranty company, fight with home warranty company, fight with home warranty company (Why do we buy these things anyway?).  Strip floors, rip up floors, tear hole in wall.  Paint, paint, stain and paint.  New floor, crown molding, quarter round, furniture, rugs, curtains YES CURTAINS!  Breathe in breathe out...Is it almost November?  It is?  Phew, I'm glad we did this.  The bathroom renovation isn't even happening until after the New Year, we only have one bathroom, this should get interesting come January.  Just to reitterate... W.O.W.

I have been dreaming of starting a blog for over two years.  I have owned the url for the name of this blog for almost as long, yet this is my first post.  I dreamed along with my husband of having a blog with my own website with all the bells and whistles, and although that is still in the works one of my best friends Jacqui called me this morning and said "You have got to get a blog!"  I told her that I am, I mean I was, no I mean I am and she said "No one has time to start a blog, you have to commit, just do it."  (Do I owe Nike money now?  I'm still not sure how this whole blog thing works...)  The fact is, she's right.  If I waited until the house was done, or the website was just how I wanted it, or until we had that nice fancy camera that would take great pictures of things I want to feature it would NEVER HAPPEN.  So beautiful Jacqui challenged me to post my first blog before next Friday, November 5th.  She told me she was going to call me everyday and annoy me and push me and make my life miserable.  So I'm beating her to the punch (or being competitive so that I can say nanny nanny boo boo to her face when I see her tonight, don't tell anyone).  So here it is.  My blog.  And here is what I will be featuring:

Food.  Lots and lots of food.  The exact reason that Jacqui called to challenge me this morning was because I posted pictures of the dinner I made last night.  I have an entire album of pictures of food I make on my personal Facebook page.  She asked "Why are you wasting all this on Facebook?"  No offense Facebook, but she's right.  I LOVE to cook.  I grew up in a family of amazing cooks.  My father is full blood Sicilian, my maiden name is Castellano.  The Italian blood runs deep and as thick as my Nonna's sauce.  My mother's family is Scotch/Irish and cooked and still cook some of the best down home food you can imagine.  It makes your blood thick in a different bacon fat type way.  Everything in moderation right?  I can't wait to share my families food along with all of the other food that I love to cook.  I am not a chef, just a home cook who loves to fill my family and friends bellies and hear the oohs and ahhs dribble out of their mouths. 

Home.  I love my home.  Minus the small amount of moaning and groaning above about what it's like to re-model a house I really do love it.  I would call Blake and I's personal style mid-century modern, but I have an appreciation for so much more and when I find things I love, or ideas that I think are great I will throw them your way. 

Lifestyle.  Sometimes I just want to write.  I have a Bachelor of Arts in Humanities and my concentration was Secondary Education-English.  I love to read, I love to write, and sometimes this blog will be just that.  Somewhere for me to update family and friends and anyone else who might care on what is going on in this crazy thing called life.  Blake and I have family all over this country and this blog will be a fantastic way to keep them all updated while also providing an educational (fingers crossed) place to learn about food, home, and the life I love. 

I hope you enjoy this journey as much as I think I am going to.  Please feel free to leave comments and questions.  I will answer them as I can. 

xoxo-Wife of Wright

5 comments:

  1. I love it! This is inspiring me to finally start blogging about my art and thoughts... I also set up a blog like forever ago, but I haven't really started to do anything with it yet. My official goal now is to be up and running after the holidays! You might have to be my Jacqui and help me out with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Traci! I will try my best, Jacqui was 100% right though, you have to just bite the bullet and make it happen. It will turn into everything I want it to be in good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you "Wife of Wright" (I love that!!) It is fun to read about a day in the life of some of my favorite people in the whole world! I love that you and Blake have such a special relationship, you're a great team! I look forward to reading more, it makes us feel closer to you and a part of your lives.
    I love you, beautiful daughter-in-law :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Gena! I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always knew you were beautiful and hilarious BUT a great writer!!! No idea.
    This is wonderful....I miss you and your mother so much.....I love you both so much.
    Can't wait til I can make this for friends...It
    might be a few weeks for recovery but looking so forward to it......Best to your blogging
    SYD

    ReplyDelete