Search This Blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

Ding ding, Round 2!

Hello all!  I know I have been M.I.A. for the past week, but I couldn't help it.  Just look what happened!



Nothing about a foot of snow on the ground was motivation to get on the computer.  Being stuck at home in the snow WAS motivation to cook a lot though.  Here's how I kept myself busy while hubby was still working from home. 

Day One:  Breakfast


We were warm and cozy on Tuesday morning while the snow was coming down.  What better motivation to get up than a warm plate of biscuits, turkey sausage gravy, eggs and bacon.  Got the blood flowing, or slowing.  Your choice...

Day One:  Mid-Afternoon


Pomme Frites a.k.a. French Fries.  I had never made them at home before.  Did it the right way with oil and double frying.  Very time consuming and probably wouldn't do it again without a small fryer instead of adjusting temperature in my dutch oven over and over again.  Made a nice little Pesto Aioli to dip them in.  Yum.



Day Two:  Dinner



I had a can of whole San Marzano tomatoes in the pantry as well as the ingredients for a soffritto to get a nice sauce started right.  A soffritto is the aromatic flavor base for most Italian sauces.  In this case I used onion, carrot, celery, and garlic in olive oil.  I also added a bay leaf.  These things scent and flavor the entire dish.  After that it's simply adding the pureed tomatoes and letting the sauce reduce and the flavors combine.  Toss with hot al dente pasta and top with parmesan and parsley. 

Yesterday for the super bowl I slow cooked a pork shoulder for pulled pork and made Smoked Sausage, Wild Rice and Corn soup.  Both were very tasty, but alas I forgot to take pictures.  Eek!  I will post the soup recipe tomorrow.  It made a ton, as did the pork shoulder.  I know what Blake and I will be eating all week!  I guess it's a good thing though because Round 2 of Snowmegedon 2011 is due to start tomorrow evening.  It's the darndest thing I've ever seen.  I plan on making one last grocery trip tonight so that I can play with a few new recipes if the storm hits.  Snow is not good for your waistline, but it sure is tasty!

Xo-Wife of Wright

1 comment:

  1. Bring it on!
    I'm hitting the gym in a couple of weeks anyway, so... What else could we deep fry? Bacon?!

    ReplyDelete