Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bada Bing.

My sweet husband has been asking for meatball subs for over a week now.  Ever since we bought sub size baguettes from Cao Nguyen grocery.  They are 35 cents a piece and lovely.  I would say they're about 8-10 inches long, crusty on the outside, soft in the middle.  Perfect for any sandwich(I'm sure most people by them for Bahn Mi), but in Blake's mind destined for only one thing.  A MEATBALL SUB.  

When I got home from work yesterday he was asking for them again.  I told him that we would have to wait until I went to the grocery store on Tuesday because we didn't have any mozzarella for the sandwiches.  It's funny how fast husbands volunteer for something when they really want it.  Off he went to the store for mozzarella and I got started on the meatballs.  I have my go to meatball recipe that is my families, but I decided I wanted to try something a little different for the subs.  I remembered Giada making a mozzarella stuffed spicy meatball that I thought would be perfect for a sandwich.  She served hers with pasta, but I knew they would work great for this.  I looked up her recipe here and got to work. 

Here are the things I changed.  I used 85/15 ground turkey instead of beef and veal.  They were very moist, and I don't think you would know they were turkey unless someone told you.  I did not use and onion because I did not have an onion on hand.  I used regular mozzarella instead of smoked because again, that's what I had on hand.  Another thing that attracted me to these meatballs is that you cook them entirely in the oven.  No searing and splatering oil all over the stove as I normally do when making my families.  They cooked up super fast, about 15 minutes, and left no mess since I lined my baking sheet with parchment paper before baking.  While the meatballs were cooking I heated up some canned marinara sauce and split the baguettes.  When the meatballs came out I put them on the baguette (I take out some of the soft dough filling in the bread to make room for the meatballs), topped them with sauce and mozzarella, and slipped them back in the oven open faced for the cheese to melt and the bread to toast.  Check these bad boys out.



Here's another view.


And finally the center view.  It was funny watching Blake fidget while I made him wait to eat so that I could take this picture...


They were delicious.  I could only eat half of mine along with my salad.  Blake ate all of his and I had to roll him to the couch afterwards.  Okay, not really, but close.  He was VERY full. 

Try them soon, they were a cinch to make and would definitely be a croud pleaser.  I've already decided I'm going to make mini versions of these meatballs next time we host a party.  They would be great stuck with skewers for people to pick up and dip in sauce. 

On a completely different note, I discovered something exciting after dinner last night.  I went to close our curtains in the living room.  My seedlings are placed next to the back window in that room. I had just checked on them when I closed the curtains on Sunday night and thought "They're not sprouting, we probably did something wrong."  But guess what?  This is what I found last night...



Yea for sprouts!  All three varieties of tomatoes and the thyme have sprouted!  Yippee for our green thumbs.  I already feel accomplished.  Also, my dad informed me that the amount of sprouts we have going would be enough for a garden the size of our backyard.  We are not planning to "garden" the entire yard, just a section.  Whoops!  So when all of these are sprouted and ready for the ground we will be having an "Adopt a Veggie" Saturday.  Anyone in the OKC area that can promise a good home to our little sprouts is welcome to a sprout of their own.  First come, first serve!

Ciao!

Xo-Wife of Wright


No comments:

Post a Comment