Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Visions of a summer garden are dancing in my head...

Over the past couple of weeks I decided that I really want to get a garden started this spring.  What I didn't know until I started reading the Farmer's Almanac today was that I should already have some plants seeding indoors, and getting ready to get some planted outdoors.  Whoops!  So I printed a handy dandy chart off of the website and even though Blake doesn't know it yet, we're going to be diggin' in the dirt this weekend!  To start, I ordered this on Amazon:


The Old Farmers Almanac has a wealth of knowledge on topics such as the weather, astrology, and of course gardening.  It will tell you what time the sun will come up and set for the entire year, and where you can find a spiritual guide.  It's quirky like that. 

As far as what I would like to have in my garden this year that list is long and still growing.  I'm sure I'm getting completely ahead of myself and should only start out with a few things so that I don't set myself up for failure, but so far that's not what I have in mind.  In my mind I'm thinking about organic beans, peppers, broccoli, carrots, garlic, lettuce, peas, potatoes, spinach, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, basil, dill, parsley, rosemary, sage, and thyme.  Too much?  A lot of these things should already be planted inside on my windowsill sprouting so that they can be transferred into the ground in a few weeks.  I did not know this.  So I'm going to sprout what I can, get the ground tilled and dug up this weekend, and plant what I can in a few weeks.  Hopefully I'll end up with these:


And these...



Don't forget these...



And bunches and bunches of this...



For any information you might need, or questions that you need answered reference the hysterical and helpful Farmer's Almanac website here.  You'll be amazed the information you can find.  

Wish me luck and pray for Blake's patience to stay in tact...

Xo-Wife of Wright 

No comments:

Post a Comment