Search This Blog

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kamp'ing out.

W.O.W.-Place to shop at for good eats-Kamp's Meat Market

Today I ordered my fresh 10-12 pound turkey from Kamp's Meat Market in OKC.  I know this seems like something ordinary and pretty boring, but I'm beyond exstatic.  (Who wants to punch me in the face for being excited about a fresh turkey?)  I have read a lot on some of the cooking blogs that I follow, and watched on the cooking shows that I watch on both Food Network and Cooking Channel how much better a fresh, never frozen bird is.  Now I finally get to see for myself! I'm also brining my bird for the first time this year.  Supposedly bathing your turkey in a salty liquid substance with whatever other herbs tickle your fancy makes for a highly juicy bird.  I'm all for this since turkeys usually end up bone dry after 3 and 1/2 hours roasting away in the oven.  I used to think that frying a turkey was the only way to get a succulent bird, but this year I'm giving the brine a try. 

I originally had not planned on cooking because Blake and I were going to visit family in Illinois, but plans changed and we will be here.  I decided fairly quickly to turn this kind of bummer circumstance into a great opportunity to celebrate our first big holiday in our new, old home.  We've invited our family that is close by to join us and everyday that passes I'm getting more pumped up about it.  I've got my brining recipe and green been cassarole recipe on standby and am on the search for a couple other good sides.  My mom will make the stuffing using the turkey neck and organs (trust me, it's delish) and I will probably ask my dear mother-in-law to make her fantastic cheesecake for dessert, in fact, I think I just did.  Check that off my list!

If any of you in Oklahoma City are in the mood to try a fresh bird, or any other meat you can think of please think of Kamp's Meat Market.  They have been a staple in Oklahoma City for decades and take a lot of care and pride in what they do and the product they sell.  They are located at 7310 N. Western Avenue.  Their phone number is 405-843-2455 and they are very helpful when calling in an order.   Support local foods!

Xo-Wife of Wright

Note:  Wife of Wright was not paid or given any perks for this post.  W.O.W. just happens to love the product and enjoys paying it forward!

1 comment:

  1. I would be more than happy to make a cheesecake for our Thanksgiving dinner, Gena! Let me know if I can make anything else, like sweet potatoes, fresh cranberry sauce, etc. I'm so excited about celebrating Thanksgiving with our family. Love you

    ReplyDelete