Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Olive juice?


Isn't that what you're supposed to mouth when you don't know the words to something and you're singing?  Today we are having a Thanksgiving Mass at my work and I have been recruited to sing in the choir in front of everyone.  Holy smokes.  I have not sang in front of anyone at Mass since I cantored back in 8th grade and let me tell you my voice is NOT the same as it was 16 years ago.  I obviously have noticed the changes over the years.  First you just can't go up quite as high, then you run out of breath a little bit faster, then all of sudden you go to sing a note and nothing even comes out.  Sad isn't it?  It's true that your voice is an instrument and if you don't use it, you lose it.  I guess I thought all of the kareoke in my car was sufficient, but I was sadly mistaken when we began practicing a few weeks ago. 

There are only six of us in the choir.  Can you say nerve wracking?  I used to love being in front of people and singing, or dancing, or acting.  Anything to have the spotlight and get a few laughs (maybe they were snickers?).  Now, I sweat.  Like sweat, sweat.  I leave practice so uncomfortable most days that I thank the Lord that I get to go home just so I can change clothes and recover for the next day when I have to do it all over again. 

Here's the kicker.  My mom is coming to watch me.  Yes, you read correctly.  MY MOM IS COMING TO WATCH ME!  How embarrassing?  I guarantee that no one else's mom is making a special trip for Thanksgiving Mass to see how the performance goes.  This might have to do with the fact that I am the youngest in the group by a couple of decades, but you get my point. 

So in closing think of me in about 20 minutes and have a good chuckle.  I'll be sweating and singing "Olive Juice" to a lovely crowd of people.

Xo-Wife of Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment