Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

One potato, two potato, sweet potato, MORE!

This year as I was preparing for Thanksgiving dinner in Blake and I's home I sat down to make my "dish list".  There are some family favorites that I tend to cook with my mom from year to year.  This year however, fate stepped in.  I happened to get my new Southern Living in the mail the same day I was planning to make all my lists.  I cannot express how happy I am that this coincidence happened.  Instead of the typical Cream Cheese and Sour Cream Garlic Mashed Potatoes that we normally make (which are declicious by the way) I came across this gem. 



Potato Gratin with Rosemary Crust.  Holy moly, did anyone else just hear angels sing?  It was so amazing tasting that I cannot put it into words, but I will say this. YOU MUST MAKE THIS DISH.  It is impressive looking, but not hard to take on.  If you have a springform pan and some patience you're good to go.  I am not a fan of the traditional sweet potato dishes with brown sugar and marshmellows.  They are way too sweet for me, and honestly kind of sticky and messy.  This savory combination is perfect.  When I saw how this dish combined mandolin sliced Yukon Gold potatoes along with sweet potatoes I was done for.  The melty layers of guyere cheese and the rosemary in the crust scream holiday flavor.  I did vary the recipe a little and instead of adding salt between the layers with the cheese I diced and crisped up pancetta and layered it in.  This Italian version of bacon flavor layered throughout really set the dish off.  You can find the recipe here.  I plan on making this again for Christmas, it was that good.  Hope no one in the family minds! 

Xo-Wife of Wright

4 comments:

  1. I would only mind if you didn't make it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Binkley, dang that thing really looks good and I bet it was tasting as good as it looks huh? You'll have to give that receipe to Suzie or make it for us sometime huh? Love ya, Doh xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this saved for next year. This sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! Traci-I will not disappoint. Daddy-It was wonderful, the recipe is linked to the post, or I can send you a copy if you want. Erin-It's so worth the time, very delish.

    ReplyDelete