Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I may not have a voice, but I have a blog. Same difference if you ask me...

I have not had a voice for three days now.  Writing on the blog is keeping me sane at the moment because I can hear my voice as I type.  Something I can't do when I open my mouth and attempt to speak.  I had my doctor call in some medicine for me yesterday afternoon and when I couldn't get it last night I picked it up this morning on my way to work.  When I got to work and read the indication on the medicine label it said "May cause drowsiness and dizziness."  Perfect.  Long story short, I still have not taken any medicine and I cannot wait for this day to be over so that I can put on my cozies, crawl on my couch and get all crazy drowsy and dizzy on it!  Party at the Wright's!

Last night when I got home feeling all sorry for myself because Wal-Greens didn't have my medicine ready I decided to make something new to cheer myself up.  I wanted something cozy, warm, and yummy.  I came up with this.

Garbanzo y Arborio


It's basically an Italian version of Red Beans and Rice.  Only it's Italian white beans and plump yummy Arborio rice (normally used to make rissoto) with Italian sausage.  Oh my goodness did it turn out good.  The flavors are deep and rustic, but not overwhelming.  I don't know why someone didn't think of this sooner, but I'm glad they didn't cause now I can take all of the credit (as far as I know).  Blake and I both think we like it better than the traditional stuff that I normally make.  It is so filling and so comforting and quick and easy to make.  It's even good for you!

Here's the recipe:

Garbanzo y Arborio
(Italian White Beans and Rice)

1 lb. ground chicken/turkey Italian Sausage
4 strips of bacon (I use Oscar Meyer Center cut-very lean and tasty)
2 cloves garlic-minced
2 bay leaves
4 cups of chicken broth/stock- I use low sodium
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
2 cans of Garbanzo beans-drained and rinsed
Salt and Pepper to taste (I did not add any salt, only pepper, but season according to your taste.  In my opinion the broth and bacon will make it salty enough.)
1 cup Arborio Rice
1 tbs. olive oil
1tbs. butter

Start the water for the Arborio Rice.  1 and ½ cups water and a tablespoon of butter and 1 cup of Arborio rice.  Bring to a boil, stir, reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.  At the end of 2o minutes remove from the heat and let sit with the lid on for 10 minutes, fluff with a fork and leave with lid on until ready to serve.

While the rice is cooking start your sausage and bean mix.  Pour one tbs. of olive oil into the pan on medium high heat.  Add your diced bacon.  Fry until almost crisp.  Add the Italian chicken/turkey sausage.  Crumble and cook until no longer pink.  Add minced garlic and two bay leaves.  Stir.  Add broth, tomato sauce, and beans.  Stir to combine.  Let come to a gentle boil and cook down for about 20 minutes.  Add pepper to taste.  Remove bay leaves before serving.

Serve over the Arborio rice with crusty bread on the side. Or cornbread, it's all I had on hand last night and it was delicious.   

Serves 4-6

Recipe by: Gena M. Wright a.k.a. Wife of Wright

I hope you all love it as much as we did.  Let me know if you make it and what you think.

Xo-Wife of Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment