Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tarts schmarts.

A couple of weekends ago on a Saturday morning I wasn't feeling the old eggs, bacon and some sort of potato that we usually have and I decided to get creative.  I have six adorable mini tart pans that I rarely use that I wanted to incorporate into the meal for Blake and I.  I came up with this:

Prosciutto, Sun Dried Tomato and Potato Tartletts


Aren't they adorable?  If you are on Facebook you might have seen them already since Blake posted them right before he ate his that morning, but I had to share here as well.  Instead of a traditional pastry type crust I used my mandolin to thinly slice some Yukon Gold potatoes I had.  I lined the bottom of the tart pans with the potatoes over lapping them slightly.  Next I placed them into a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes to proof (set up) the potatoes slightly.  While they were in the oven I beat together 4 eggs, sliced up prosciutto, diced sun dried tomatoes, a splash of heavy cream and some salt and pepper.  Once the proofed potatoes came out of the oven I poured even amounts in each tartlett and put them back in the oven for 20 minutes or until set.  They came out so cute and tasted delicious!  Not too bad for making something up as I went! 

Give these a try this next weekend, or at least some variation of them.  Blake and I agreed they would be perfect with a salad for lunch or dinner as well.   If you don't have a tartlett pan (regular size or mini) use a pie dish and go the quiche route.  Don't worry too much about specific ingredients either.  I think using a mixture of any kind of meat with veggies would be scrumptious.  Think sausage, green peppers and mushrooms.  Or smoked salmon, capers and cream cheese.  We almost always have eggs, potatoes and some sort of meat and veggies on hand.  They're a great way to use up leftovers, or a good go to when the pantry and fridge are low. 

Xo-Wife of Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment