Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"It's not a grilled cheese, or a potato chip!"

So for those of you that don't know I work for a non-profit called The Catholic Foundation of Oklahoma.  We award scholarships for Catholic students and provide grants for Catholic parishes and schools.  It's a great organization and I highly recommend checking it out if you're looking for a great charity to give to. 

Because I work at the Archdiocese and for the foundation I sometimes receive very interesting calls.  Sometimes people are looking for financial aid, food, or shelter.  Those calls are normal and expected and I direct them to Catholic Charities so that they can get the help that they need.  Other times people would like to speak to the Archbishop, or better yet the Pope.  This is not going to happen for a multitude of reasons, the main one being I don't have a direct line to the Pope!  Weird right?  You would think every Catholic employees job came with one of those, but for some reason they don't. Lame. 

The phone call I received yesterday takes the cake on strange requests.  A specific, to remain nameless man (let's call him T.R.N. to shorten things up for the sake of the post) has been calling our offices for the past week or so.  Apparently he calls around to many of the metro churches and other Archdiocesan offices on a fairly frequent basis making different requests.  When I answered the phone yesterday he asked to speak to our director.  I asked who was calling and when he verified that he was in fact T.R.N. I politely told him that the director was in a meeting and asked if I could take a message.  T.R.N. told me that he really needed to speak to our director.  I told him I was sorry and that I could take a message and get it to him.  T.R.N. then said that he wasn't really sure he had the right office and asked me what the foundation did.  I explained to him what we did and asked again if I could take a specific message for him.  T.R.N.  then said he had the wrong office.  I explained that if he would tell me what exactly he needed I could better direct him.  Here's where it gets good. 

T.R.N.-"Well I have discovered something that no one seems to care about, but I think it's a miracle."

Me-"Okay, well if I can ask what it is, maybe I can put you in contact with the correct person."

T.R.N.-"I planted a tree in my yard when it was a baby and Jesus' face grew into the side of it.  Who should I tell?  I would like to talk with the Pope, or at least the Archbishop, I want this to go as high as it can go!"

Me-(Deep breaths)  "Well sir, I would suggest that you start with your own priest and if he finds interest in your tree he can contact the appropriate people."

T.R.N. "But what if he doesn't care?  Then should I just go to another church and another priest?"

Me-(More deep breathing) "Yes sir, that's what I would do."

T.R.N.-"I mean this is way better than what you see on t.v., It's not a grilled cheese, or a potato chip!"

Me-(Remember to breathe) "It sounds like it sir, but I can only refer you to your personal priest."

T.R.N.-"Okay, thanks for your help."




Now don't get me wrong, I fully believe in miracles and believe that stranger things have happened in the church's history. I just don't think it's coming from T.R.N.  Maybe it's because he calls on a daily basis asking for different things, or maybe it was his tone, but something was off.  I do know that if he calls me back I am going to refer him to this website.  It's dedicated to stuff that looks like Jesus.  I'm quite sure someone there will provide him with more comfort than I could muster. 

Xo-Wife of Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment